Mr. Sonk holds a Bachelor in Mining Engineering from the University of Technology, Lae, Papua New Guinea and a Diploma of Business – Business Management from Melbourne Business School, Mt Eliza Centre for Executive Education, Australia.
He was appointed Managing Director of the National Petroleum Company of PNG in January 2013 and the Managing Director of Kumul Petroleum Holdings Limited in 2015.
He has occupied numerous leadership roles in the Petroleum Industry of PNG since beginning his career with Chevron Niugini Pty Ltd in 1997.
These roles include:
- Director – PNG LNG Project – IPBC (2012);
- Chairperson of Society of Petroleum Engineers (PNG Section) (2011);
- Technical Manager, Kumul Petroleum – Managing a Multi Skilled Team of Geologist & Engineers (2010 – 2011);
- Drilling & Completions Engineer – Oil Search Head Office – Sydney office, Australia (2007 – 2009);
- Night Shift Drilling Rig Operations Supervisor (2006 – 2007); and
- Field Coordinator, PNG to QLD Gas Pipeline Project FEED Team – Manage Multinational team (2005).
Mr Sonk is also a member of the International Association of Drilling Contractors (IADC), Society of Petroleum Engineers (Worldwide), and Institute of Engineers PNG.